Event date: 11/18/2019 - 11/19/2019 Export event
November 18-19, 2019
DoubleTree by Hilton
8727 Colesville Rd
Silver Spring, MD 20910
Workshop Registration High-Level Workshop Agenda
(Updated Oct. 21, 2019) Logistics
Background: Extreme heat, altered precipitation patterns, sea level rise, coastal inundation, changes in air quality, marine ecosystem and water resources are among the climate related risks society is facing. The NOAA Climate Program Office (CPO) Earth System Science and Modeling (ESSM) Division supports climate and Earth system research to enhance society’s resilience in these emerging risk areas. ESSM annual workshops are to engage researchers, users, and stakeholders inside and outside NOAA to discuss needs and opportunities for ESSM to support research that enhances NOAA and the nation’s capabilities to address these key societal risk areas.
Workshop purpose: This year’s workshop will focus on extreme heat, one of the climate risk areas, to facilitate in-depth discussions. The workshop will focus on the following questions:
● What are the most critical problems for decision makers when it comes to the impacts of extreme heat on air quality, water resources, environmental quality, agriculture, energy, transportation, public health, and coastal ocean resources?
● What climate information and Earth system modeling capabilities are required for addressing those problems?
● What capabilities already exist, especially in terms of observing, monitoring, understanding of the forcing and mechanisms, modeling, prediction and application products?
● What are the gaps and opportunities for further research and engagement?
Expected Outcomes: A workshop report will be developed to summarize presentations, discussions and key findings. The report will inform CPO/ESSM strategic planning and synthesize findings on ESSM research needed to enhance resilience to extreme heat. The findings will be used to further discussion with the community and NOAA leadership.
Note: After registering for the workshop, reservations for lodging at the DoubleTree Hilton must be made by October 26, 2019, in order to receive the negotiated group rate of $169.00. ALL HOTEL RESERVATIONS must be made through Christina Bargas, firstname.lastname@example.org, 303-497-8046, in order to guarantee the above group rate. Register early. The ESSM Workshop is limited to 100 participants. Registrants will be wait-listed after the workshop reaches full capacity.
Federal NOAA Employees Must Register by the deadline - October 26th to have their name included in the NOAA Group Travel Request.
Workshop Organizing Committee:
● Ana Barros (Duke University)
● Tom Delworth (NOAA/GFDL)
● Jin Huang (NOAA/CPO)
● Jim Hurrell (Colorado State University)
● Annarita Mariotti (NOAA/CPO)
● Virginia Selz (NOAA/CPO)
● Eric Williams (NOAA/ESRL)
Oceanic and Atmospheric Research (OAR)
National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)
Department of Commerce
Climate Program Office
1315 East-West Hwy, Suite 1100 Silver Spring, MD 20910
NOAA Privacy Statement|
Web Accessibility Statement|
Disclaimer for External Links|
U.S. Department of Commerce|